Monday, February 23, 2009

Under Pressure (or, ding ding ding da da ding ding)

So not much news from here lately. I begin a homicide trial today, grisly stuff, and have been looking at photos of wounds and worse. It's an experiement in anxiety for me, and I struggle with perfectionism all the time. I've been reading a great book, Overcoming Procrastination. It says procrastination is not a problem, but rather a symptom of a problem, usually perfectionism and/or fear of failure.

Boy, nothing like reading something like that and feeling like you're looking in mirror. More about that later, when I'm feeling less schizophrenic.

Please bear with me and the lack of posts. I'll be done by the end of the week, I hope, and we'll visit some of the issues raised by my job in a way I haven't gotten into here before.

For now, think about perfectionism, fear of failure - does it impact you? Do you have a love/hate relationship with some tasks, both because and in spite of that thrill of walking the tightrope?

Can we ever succeed if we set the standard at "perfect'?

1 comment:

Teaworthy said...

It should be said that I believe you may be one of the best trial lawyers in America and we're all safer because of you, win or lose.

It should also be said that blaring Queen and David Bowie while on your way home each day is very helpful.

It gives me comfort to remember -you don't have to be perfect. Even God doesn't expect that of you. All he/she asks is that you be you, in the present moment, so that your talent and his grace can shine through. Good luck. love and peace.
T