Thursday, February 5, 2009

Snuggling in.....

It's very cold today - 37 degrees just past noon. I know it gets much colder elsewhere (just looking at the ads for Renee Zellweger's new movie New in Town makes me shiver), but for South Georgia, it's cold, and we don't understand cold here.

With a hint of snow, or even slush, our markets sell out of milk, schools shut down, and government offices close. Should frozen precipitation of any kind actually happen, nobody drives. We don't know how.

Even so, I long for it.

I envy my friends who live in climates with actual seasons. The idea of bundling up and tromping around in beautiful frozen neighborhoods or city streets is so appealing. Georgia winter is a poor excuse for the season. I'll stay inside and enjoy the things that make me feel warm and pretend we're having real winter weather outside.

My favorite things that warm my imagination and my heart are:

a soft pair of my husband's athletic socks. Mine never feel like that!

my favorite yoga pants, probably in need of retirement, but I'm not ready yet. They're faded black cotton knit with a drawstring and a couple of accidental bleach marks. I like to pair them with the socks and add an old t-shirt.

the sound of the washing machine running

making a turkey pot pie or pot of chili

football on the television

open blinds in the den (aka the man cave)

the warm taupe walls of said man cave, also the silk plant in the fireplace (coal-burning and no longer safe) and the heavy wood frame of the mirror above the mantle

candles in lieu of the fires I wish we could have

the smell of baking beer bread (yum!)

This weekend we're going to visit old friends, but I hope this cold weather holds out until Sunday night when we return, so I can warm up again at home.

No comments: