Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Him

We all have him. You know who I mean, girls. Him. You know - that guy you could never resist, the one you knew was bad, bad, bad news, but you kept....well, in the interests of keeping this PG-13, let's say you kept 'dating' him. He's the guy who wrecked your car, almost got you fired, evicted, arrested or killed, but you kept going back for more. You know him. Yeah, that guy.

Mine was/is J. He had dark curly hair, green eyes, and a wicked grin. It said, 'yes ma'am, I will get you in serious trouble. Doesn't it sound like fun?' He was tall and lean and way too confident. He had swagger.

We met cute in an elevator in my building a dozen years ago. In just twenty seconds on the way to the third floor, his manner was so intimate that I stepped off the lift blushing. His words were perfectly gentlemanly, but his tone, his gaze were so familiar, I felt as though he knew all my secrets. I smiled for an hour afterward, amazed at seeing someone that good-looking in real life, rather than the movie, or at least TV, screen.


I figured I'd never see him again, but he'd actually moved in down the hall. The second time I saw him, again in the elevator, he asked me to dinner. I was in total shock. I was much thinner back then, but still not thin. I don't remember the details of the date, but I do remember his goodnight kiss, and his disbelief when he realized he would not see my bedroom that first night.


Now, I've always been a good girl (at least at first), and I was a bit put off by his, um, fervor. It had been a year since the obligatory breakup with the college boyfriend, and there had been no one - no one in that time since. I liked being wanted, but there was a pressure there, an insistence that seemed to have little to do with me. I ignored his calls the next day, and his knocks on my door. Yeah, I know now it reads loud and clear - stalker. But this was during The Wilderness Years, when all I had was work to fill my days and nothing but TV for my nights. The attention seemed exciting to me. The rejection was clearly exciting to him. He pursued relentlessly.


So we went out again, and then again. I really, really liked him; we had more fun together than I have had with any man before or since. And then it went bad.

It doesn't matter how or why. I won't bore you (or embarrass myself) by telling you how long it took me to figure out he was an alcoholic. So naive, I thought drunks drank hard liquor. In the morning. He only drank beer, and only at night, and occasionally at lunch, so it didn't occur to me he might have a problem. You don't need to know how many mornings I was late to work after late nights with him, or how often I called in sick to work to drink with him, reasoning I was revisiting my college days. I won't tell you how mad I was when he accompanied me to a doctor's appointment, pretending to be a doting boyfriend, only to ask for my keys and forget to vent the car, so that I was knocked over by the residual pot smoke when we returned to the parking lot.

I will also leave to your imagination my embarrassment when I was called home from work by my landlord's threats of eviction and found him Drunker Than Cooter Brown, as we say in the South, at 11 a.m., blasting the Allman Brothers so loud you could hear it a block away. And the day the deputy sheriff visited me at my office, looking for him on that outstanding felony probation warrant he'd never mentioned? You don't need to hear about that.

Simply know that we broke up, but not before he actually told me his ex was coming into town, and I should 'lay low' for a couple of days. I asked him if she would be at a hotel, and he not very convincingly told me that she would. He lied. That was it. I will allow myself to be taken advantage of, used, lied to, fooled and humiliated in a number of ways, but I will not be cheated on.

I gussied myself up that morning and showed up unannounced at his job, telling him in what is now my courtroom voice that as a country girl, I had been around shit all my life. I'd seen it shoveled onto growing crops, out of chicken coops, and bought in clean plastic bags by ladies for their flower beds, but that I had never seen it in such a well-dressed and charming package such as him. And then I told him to go to hell, turned on my heel, and went to work on time for the first time in weeks.

I moved away not too long after that, but I have settled back in this same town, and he's still here. I've not seen him, but my husband, also an attorney, has encountered him in court as a defendant, which B thinks is hilarious. Obviously, for J, not much has changed.

But oh, how I've changed. I have my law degree now, a job I love, and the respect of those I work with. I am confident enough to stand up for myself, and wise enough to see through the con I so eagerly fell for back then. I have a wonderful husband who is crazy about me. He also happens to be successful, politically influential, and very well respected, in this small town and around our state. We have a modest but nice house, good friends, and wonderful families.

If I did run into him, what would he see - the accomplished woman and hard-ass prosecutor, popular in my community and in love with my life? Or that lonely twenty-three year old, 100 pounds heavier and twelve years older, beginning to age, with blonder hair and better jewelry?

Which change do I use to define me? Do my accomplishments matter, or just my body? In the past dozen years of your life, dear reader, what consumes your time and thoughts - is it your inner life, or your outer one?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO OH How i can relate ! Did you read the last few posts on my blog ?
All i can say is revenge, justice, and NANNER NANNER NANNER is OH SO SWEET when it comes to the EX ! I have a HIM he lives in my town and he still can get to me . I think we all have a him !

Leslie said...

I have a HIM too. He was my best friend before I met my husband. He will always be a "what could have been" man. I was actually closer to him than my husband. We could finish each others sentences - we were so close and things were never boring. We never took our relationship to the next level because we were afraid it would ruin our friendship. My husband told me that he was in love with me (at our wedding). Yes he was in my wedding. He's the one I'll always wonder about. I'm the one his family said got away.

Anonymous said...

Good way to put it Leslie, " the one that could have been man " Yes that is what mine was. Ours ended with out an explanation, he still tells people he loves me and i would probably say the same ( you can love someone but not be able to LIVE w/ them) Not having an explanation of why it ended has always bothered me espically since he still to this day says he loves me ,and ya know what I saw it the other day when he looked at me . Our "Hims" I do not think we ever get over we just learn to move on from if not it will drive us crazy !To be honest I am SO glad onederwoman posted this RIGHT after i posted mine , So i know im not the only one who has a him after all these yrs and im not CRAZY ! LMAO

Nola said...

So glad I found your blog! I have enjoyed reading back through your older posts. I like the way you write! and yes.....I have a HIM too....I hope I don't run into HIM until my lapband has done some of it's work first though....I want him to squirm and regret big time:)

Oneder Woman said...

That's exactly my point, Nola. I feel the same way - don't want to see him now, would LOVE to after some significant weight loss. But without losing another pound, I've done the things that have bettered me, made me happy, given me the terrific life he never could have. Yet, at bottom, I really don't believe those accomplishments are good enough to make him regretful. Only *looking* good can do that. Such wrong thinking.